The nation's parks and monuments are popular during the summer and winter vacation season. But what happens if you are pulled over for a DUI?

If you are on federal land, and a federal law enforcement officer pulls you over on suspicion of a DUI, they will likely ask you to submit to various types of sobriety tests. DUI is always a serious crime, and when it happens on federal property, you are committing a federal crime that can carry with it some very harsh punishments. It is essential to have an attorney on your side that can help with your case. If the incident occurred around San Jose, a DUI attorney with experience in this area is essential to your case.

Types of Field Tests Could You Receive

When an agent on federal land pulls you over, or when they suspect that someone who is underage has been drinking, they will often begin a field sobriety test. The type of tests can vary but they will often require some of the “stereotypical” tests with which you might be familiar.

For example, they may request that you begin reciting the alphabet. In addition, they may ask you to walk in a straight line using the heel to toe method. You simply put one foot in front of the other, placing the heel of one foot in front of the toes of the other. Those who have been drinking will not be able to keep their balance and walk a straight line in most cases.

Some of the other potential tests that you may have to do include counting backwards, touching a finger to the tip of your nose, or even closing your eyes while standing still and then tilting your head back. If someone has been drinking, it is difficult to keep balance while doing this. When you fail these tests, it could be a good idea to start thinking about working with a San Jose DUI attorney.

Refusing a Breathalyzer Test

In addition, they may ask you to take a breathalyzer test. The driver has the option of refusing the test. However, if they do, they will then be arrested and will have to take a blood draw test. If you choose this option, which may not be in your best interest, you certainly need a San Jose DUI lawyer.

In fact, whenever you’ve been accused of a DUI, whether on federal land or not, one of the first steps you need to take is to contact a San Jose DUI attorney to help you understand the next steps you need to take. It is a serious crime, and you need to have an experienced lawyer working on your side.